Dr Heaney's Publications
PhD thesis (University of London, 2002):
"Anti-epileptic drugs: economic considerations in clinical practice"
The economic impact of anti-epileptic drugs was investigated using modelling techniques and also methods that incorporated patient preferences. Research was based on a large number of patient interviews performed within a clinical setting. Socio-economic factors were considered. Cost-effectiveness and cost-benefit analyses were performed. Overall, my research demonstrated that economic evaluation is most meaningful in clinical practice when it incorporates patient opinion.
Reviews (peer reviewed)
- Heaney D & Begley C. Economic evaluation of epilepsy treatment: a review of the literature. Epilepsia 2002;43 ILAE Suppl 4:10-6*
- Heaney D & Beran R. Economics in epilepsy treatment choices: our certain fate? Epilepsia 2002;43 ILAE Suppl 4:32-8*
- Heaney D. Improving the care for adults with poorly controlled epilepsy. In: Eguidelines (www.eguidelines.co.uk) 1998
Book Chapters and Reports
- Heaney D, Williams D, O'Brien P - Neurological complications in pregnancy. In: De Swient?s Medical Disorders in Pregnancy. Ed Powrie, R et al. 2010
- Heaney D, Shorvon SD. Epilepsy - Epidemiology, definitions and diagnostic procedures. In: Women with epilepsy - a handbook of health and treatment issues. Ed Morrell,M. 1st edition 2003
- Heaney D, Sander JW. Cost benefit analysis in epilepsy. In: Epilepsy in Latin America. Ed. Devilat M, Campos M, Marinis A. 1st edition. Catholic University of Chile Press 2000
- Shorvon SD, Thompson P, Heaney D. Epilepsy. In: Neurological Rehabilitation. Ed. Greenwood RJ, Barnes M, McMillan T, Ward D. 2nd edition. Churchill Livingstone Press 2000
- Heaney D, Shorvon SD. Topiramate. In: A Handbook of Clinical Pharmacology. Ed. Eadie MJ. 2nd Edition.
Other Selected Publications
- Baxendale S, Heaney D. Socioeconomic status, cognition, and hippocampal sclerosis. Epilepsy Behav. 2011 Jan;20(1):64-7.
- Baxendale S, Heaney D, Thompson PJ, Duncan JS. Cognitive consequences of childhood-onset temporal lobe epilepsy across the adult lifespan. Neurology. 2010 Aug 24;75(8):705-11.
- Adderley K. Low social class adversely affects outcome of epilepsy surgery. City of London MSc, awarded distinction. Supervised by Heaney D.
- Yuen AW, Singh R, Bell GS, Bhattacharjee A, Neligan A, Heaney DC, Duncan JS, Sander JW. The long-term retention of pregabalin in a large cohort of patients with epilepsy at a tertiary referral centre. Epilepsy Res. 2009 Dec;87(2-3):120-3.
- Bensimon G, Ludolph A, Agid Y, Vidailhet M, Payan C, Leigh PN; NNIPPS Study Group. Riluzole treatment, survival and diagnostic criteria in Parkinson plus disorders: the NNIPPS study. Brain. 2009 Jan;132(Pt 1):156-71.
- Yogarajah M, Powell HW, Heaney D, Smith SJ, Duncan JS, Sisodiya SM. Long term monitoring in refractory epilepsy: the Gowers Unit experience. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2009 Mar;80(3):305-10.
- Webb TE, Pal S, Siddique D, Heaney DC, Linehan JM, Wadsworth JD, Joiner S, Beck J, Wroe SJ, Stevenson V, Brandner S, Mead S, Collinge J. First report of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease occurring in 2 siblings unexplained by PRNP mutation. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2008 Sep;67(9):838-41.
- Heaney DC, Bell GS, Sander JW. The socioeconomic, cultural, and emotional implications of starting or withholding treatment in a patient with a first seizure. Epilepsia. 2008; 49 Suppl 1:35-9 Heaney DC, Sander JW. "The unknown cost of epilepsy misdiagnosis in England and Wales". Seizure. 2007 Jun;16(4):377
- Heaney D, Sander JW. "Antiepileptic drugs: generic versus branded treatments". Lancet Neurology 2007 May;6(5):465-8.
- Chataway J, Porter B, Riazi A, Heaney D, Watt H, Hobart J, Thompson A. "Home versus outpatient administration of intravenous steroids for multiple-sclerosis relapses: a randomised controlled trial". Lancet Neurology. 2006 Jul;5(7):565-71
- Heaney D, Sander JWAS. Cost-effectiveness of Carbamazepine. Expert Review of Pharmaco-economics and Outcomes Research 2006 Vol. 6 No. 1 Pages 13-18
- Farrell R??, Heaney D, Giovannoni?? G. Emerging disease modifying therapies for multiple sclerosis. Expert Opinion Emerging Drugs 2005, Vol. 10, No. 4, Pages 797-816
- Heaney D, Swash M, Geddes M et al. Sarcoid polyneuropathy responsive to intravenous immunoglobulin. Muscle Nerve 2004; 29(3): 447-50
- Heaney D et al. Socioeconomic variation in incidence of epilepsy: prospective community based study in south east England. BMJ 2002; 325:1013-6.
- Heaney D, Sander JW. Reduzindo a carga economica da epilepsia. ComCiencia 2002; 34;75-79
- Begley C et al. ILAE Commission on the Burden of Epilepsy, Subcommission on the Economic Burden of Epilepsy: Final report 1998-2001. Epilepsia 2002;43(6):668-73
- MacDonald BK, Mummery CJ, Heaney D. Health needs of asylum seekers and refugees. Head injury needs to be taken into consideration in survivors of torture. BMJ 2001; 323:230
- Heaney D, Sander JW, Shorvon SD et al. Comparing the cost of epilepsy in eight European countries. Epilepsy Res. 2001;43(2):88-95